HALL WITHDRAWS FROM ING NYC MARATHON
By David Monti
(c) 2012 Race Results Weekly, all rights reserved. Used with permission.
NEW YORK (10-Sep) -- Two-time Olympian and USA half-marathon record holder Ryan Hall has withdrawn from the 2012 ING New York City Marathon scheduled for Sunday, November 4, citing a series of injuries which had hampered his training.
"I am very disappointed to not be able to run this year's ING New York City Marathon," Hall said through a statement provided by the New York Road Runners, the marathon's founders and organizers. "I was hoping that after some time off and treatment after the (Olympic) Games, the string of nagging injuries I've been dealing with this year would be behind me. After trying to run through, I came to the realization when keeping the big picture in mind, that I needed to take a longer break to let things heal and not rush the training. As much as I would love to still race after taking the break, my integrity will not let me show up to the line if I'm not fit."
Hall, 29, of Redding, Calif., failed to finish the Olympic Marathon on August 12, citing tightness in his legs. Prior to the Games, he said he had been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his build-up to the Games. Hall had committed to the New York race back in March and his participation was announced at the event's Opening Day ceremony last April. Hall's last completed marathon was the USA Olympic Trials Marathon in Houston last January where he finished second to Meb Keflezighi, clocking 2:09:30. He has a personal best of 2:04:58 set at the Boston Marathon in 2011.