UPDATE: Jakob Ingebrigtsen has been reinstated after a successful appeal
Original Story Below:
The first big shock of the 2019 IAAF World Championships arrived on the first day in Doha as 19-year-old superstar Jakob Ingebrigtsen was disqualified from the men’s 5,000m heats for taking multiple steps on the infield.
According to an IAAF press release, the Norwegian federation has filed an appeal.
The Norwegian, who ran a 13:02 personal best in 2019, figured to compete for a medal in Monday’s final after placing fourth in the second heat. But race footage showed that Ingebrigtsen clearly committed an infraction by taking three steps into the infield during the sixth lap.
The double European champion was not immediately disqualified after the race, but once action ended on Friday night his result was changed to a DQ. Ingebrigtsen did not know he had been disqualified when he came through the mixed zone post-race.
Ingebrigtsen told Norwegian outlet NRK that his disqualification was unjustified. “It was not my fault,” the teen said as translated through Google Translate.
With the youngest of three Ingebrigtsen brothers no longer in the 5,000m, the siblings will miss out on all three competing in the final. Filip and Henrik Ingebrigtsen advanced to the final out of the second heat. Jakob will still compete in the 1500m, which begins on Oct. 3.
In response to Ingebrigtsen's DQ, Great Britain’s Andrew Butchart advanced to the final.