Unlock this article, live events, and more with a subscription!
Already a subscriber? Log In
2019 World Champion, Christian Coleman is the latest 'high-profile' athlete to be charged with a 'whereabouts failure' in what is now a growing list of athletes violating this anti-doping protocol.
What Is A 'Whereabouts Failure'?
An athlete is charged with a 'whereabouts failure' if he or she commits any of the following infringements a total of three times within a 12-month window.
1) Fail to submit your whereabouts by the required deadline
2) Fail to update your whereabouts or not update them as soon as possible after a change of circumstances
3) File your whereabouts on time but they are incomplete or inaccurate or insufficient to enable testers to locate you for testing (training address missing, home address too vague, competition schedule missing or incomplete, no address of temporary accommodation during competition…)
4) The Athletics Integrity Unit finds out that your whereabouts are inaccurate or incomplete following an unsuccessful attempt to test you (e.g. an athlete lives in a gated complex and fails to give instructions to the security gate to let the doping control officer in)
5) You are not available for testing at the location corresponding to your 60-minute time slot
A List Of Notable Athletes To Be Charged Or Found Guilty Of 'Whereabouts Failure'
|06/04/20||Salwa Eid Naser (BRN)||Charge Issued|
|05/14/20||Christian Coleman (USA)||Charge Issued|
|03/30/20||Deajah Stevens (USA)||Pending Before Disciplinary Trial|
|03/17/20||Gabrielle Thomas (USA)||Referred To Disciplinary Trial|
|03/17/20||Alex Korio (KEN)||Charge Issued|
|01/14/20||Alfred Kipketer (KEN)||Pending Before Disciplinary Trial|
|01/10/20||Wilson Kipsang (KEN)||Pending Before Disciplinary Trial|
|01/07/20||Michelle Lee-Ahye (TTO)||Appeal Filed, Pending CAS Hearing|
|04/11/19||Albert Rop (BRN)||Serving 2-Year Ban|
|08/03/18||Danil Lysenko (RUS)||Charge Issued|
|10/20/17||Juliana Moreira (BRA)||Serving 8-Year Ban (tested positive as well)|
|08/15/17||Marquise Goodwin (USA)||Served 1-Year Ban|
|04/20/17||Brianna McNeal (USA)||Served 1-Year Ban|
|06/20/14||Jeremy Hicks (USA)||Served 1-Year Ban|
|06/06/14||Reggie Dixon (USA)||Served 1-Year Ban|
|04/21/14||Walter Davis (USA)||Served 1-Year Ban|
|04/18/13||Shawn Crawford (USA)||Served 2-Year Ban|
|08/30/10||Mark Jelks (USA)||Served 2-Year Ban|